If you are thinking about making a career change, chances are you have been drawn to the tech industry. The industry is booming, it’s an incredibly innovative field, has high salaries, and plenty of job opportunities at any given time.
However, if you want to get into the sector with no previous experience, you will have to prepare for it. Firstly, you will need to understand the sector and decide which area of work you would like to go into. Next, you will have to ensure that you have the skills necessary to work in this sector. This will vary significantly depending on what it is you want to do.
A tech career can be incredibly rewarding, but it won’t come to you without some hard work. Here are some tips and tricks you should use to get a career in the technology sector.
Research the sector
This is the most crucial step when you are thinking about switching (or starting) careers into a new industry. Although the tech industry is currently booming, you need to do your research into which area of the sector would be best for you. For example, do you want to work for a large Fin-tech corporation? Or would you prefer working for a small startup company? Before you decide, make sure you do some research to decide what benefits each area of the sector offers.
Research the position you want
Once you have decided which area of the industry you want to work in, you then need to side which role best suits you. Here are the 10 best tech jobs, according to Investopedia:
- Data scientist: you will need to have experience for this role, but it could earn you around $118,000 a year. A data scientist’s job is to analyze complex digital data. Not only must you be able to understand and analyze complicated data, but you must also be able to explain this data to businesses in a way that they can understand.
- Software developer: this is a great job to get into, as there are thousands of job openings for this role. In this role, you would have to design things like apps or operating systems.
- Information security analyst: this is another role that is high in demand, as there are hundreds of million data breaches every year.
- Computer systems analyst: this type of analyst helps companies install and design new computer systems, and they are usually hired by IT consulting firms.
- Web developer: this is one of the few tech jobs that you can get without a bachelor’s degree. Your role would be to design websites or maintain them.
- Sales engineer: for this role, you must be well-versed in technology to present proposals, explain products, and answer questions.
- IT manager: if you have good management skills, this could be the job for you. An IT manager’s role is to oversee an IT team and handle an organization’s technology needs.
- Computer research scientist: this is a difficult field to enter, so you need to make sure you are fully prepared if you want this role. This sort of role would require you to write algorithms to help businesses analyze their data.
- Network and systems administrator: this role would require you to handle day-to-day technology operations.
- Computer support specialist: this is one of the easiest tech roles to get into. This role would center around you helping IT staff and customers to troubleshoot problems.
As you can see, there are plenty of high paying jobs in this sector. However, most of these roles require a significant level of skill. Therefore, before you consider a role in the tech industry, you first need to make sure you have the right skills.
Learn new skills
Each role will require a different level of technological skill. Most require at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science or information technology, as well as an understanding of code.
Although this sector is booming, you need to make sure that you have the correct skills (or begin retraining) if you want to thrive in this sector.
Improve your communication skills
Roles in technology aren’t all about coding. To succeed in this industry, you also need to have great communication skills. Once you manage to get a job in this field, you will most likely be working as part of a team, so it is imperative that you have great communication skills, as you will need to collaborate with others, effectively learn new skills, and become part of the technical community.
Tailor your CV
Once you have got the necessary experience for your desired role, make sure that you add it to your CV. Because the tech industry is thriving, many people are looking for jobs in this sector. This means that the market is saturated, and you will need to do everything you can to be unique. We recommend that you use a cv template or an online cv builder service to help you get an eye-catching cv design.
When applying for roles, make sure you tailor each application. Look at the company’s website and edit your CV based on what the company’s goals are and what its ethos is. By doing this, you will highlight to recruiters that you are serious about a role, and they are more likely to consider hiring you.
If your CV is looking a little sparse, make sure you get some real-world experience before applying. Whether this is volunteering for a local company, working a part-time job, or even taking extra courses on coding, all of this will help you get a good job in the tech industry.
The technology industry is an innovative and interesting field that is perfect for anyone looking for a well-paying job. However, before you apply, make sure you do your research, and that you have the skills required to be successful in the field.