Traditionally, bike messengers have used fixed gear bikes. There’s a lot of reasons messengers use these bikes. These bikes are low maintenance, reliable and cost-effective. The downside is that they aren’t very comfortable. With so many different types of bikes, learn why hybrid bikes are some of the best bicycles for bike messengers.
Pros and Cons of Different Bicycle Types
Bicycles are a great way to get around. As more cities make it safer to ride, commuters are using bikes to get to work. Many people enjoy riding in the country on the weekends. There are many different types of bikes to choose from. The best bike for you depends on how you intend to ride and where you intend to ride. Bike messengers use their bike for work and typically ride in an urban setting.
- Road Bikes – designed for speed on smooth roads, road bikes have a lightweight frame and handlebars that curve down for aerodynamics. On a road bike, you can cover ground quickly when the terrain is smooth. Speed-riding isn’t comfortable for short rides. The lightweight bike can’t handle potholes and curbs. When your head is down, it can be difficult to pay attention to traffic.
- Mountain bikes – designed for off-road riding and rough terrain. Mountain bikes have a more relaxed riding position than road bikes, so they’re nice for leisure riding. These bikes are heavier and more expensive, but for riding in nature, they really do the trick. Mountain bikes can be slower on surface riding, but they are pretty versatile.
- Hybrid bikes – a bike that combines the lighter frame and tires of a road bike with the riding position of a mountain bike for a great ride in the city. Sitting upright in city traffic lets you pay attention to the road conditions more effectively, but you can still go quickly as traffic allows. Hybrid bikes usually have better brakes than road bikes, giving you more consistent performance, even when the weather is wet.
- Touring bikes – these bikes are designed for road riding and different types of terrain. The frame may be a bit heavier than a road bike, because touring bikes are designed to carry heavier loads, such as luggage or supplies. They are a comfortable ride and will get you around, but they can be expensive.
- Electric bikes –You still have to pedal, but you can get up to 25 mph on these bikes without the same physical exertion as a regular bike. Ebikes come in many different styles but combined with the hybrid bike frame and style, you get a comfortable ride with a lighter frame and good wheels. Electric bikes do need to be recharged, but the technology is evolving rapidly.
Shop For Bicycles to Fit Your Needs
Although hybrid bikes with an electric motor are some of the best bikes for messengers, today’s bike messengers ride all different types of bikes, from BMX bikes to mountain bikes. When you’re on a bike all day, you really want a bicycle that fits your needs and is comfortable and safe for the job. Investing in a hybrid bike that can take on the daily routine of bike messaging is an investment in self-care.
Shop for city bikes for sale.